The Heart of Asia Society (HAS) is an independent think tank working towards stability and shared prosperity in Afghanistan and the Heart of Asia region by fostering cooperation that increases connectivity and builds confidence across the region. The Heart of Asia region encompasses Afghanistan and its immediate and extended neighbors from South Asia, Central Aisa and the Middle East.
The Heart of Asia Society works through a program of research, dialogue, and policy analysis and remains dedicated to a vision of Afghanistan that safeguards the rights of men and women of all ethnicities and religions, respects and values diversity, and promotes inclusivity and agency for its citizens.
Our goals are to:
- contribute to knowledge creation and academic vibrancy in and about Afghanistan and the region as a whole;
- promote confidence-building through deepening political and academic dialogues and co-operation;
- increase and broaden contacts, interactions, education, understanding, exchange through civil society and people-to-people initiatives;
- serve as a policy watchdog for public policies in Afghanistan and other countries in the region concerning issues of security, peace, economic prosperity and environment; and lastly,
- serve as a permanent resource center for Afghanistan and countries of the region with a particular focus on regional cooperation, connectivity and confidence building in the region.
Through research, analysis, and dialogues, we aim to:
- promote innovative thinking and ideas for prosperity and stability in Afghanistan and the region;
- undertake independent research on issues regional cooperation;
- organize track 2 and track 1.5 meetings with the aim of facilitating dialogues and interactions for academic and policy experts from Afghanistan and the region;
- provide academic analysis of the issues and trends on political, security, and socio-economic conditions of the region;
- provide empirical inputs to major policy decisions through scientific studies and analysis as well as advocate for sound policies; and
- enhance dialogue, understanding and cooperation at the civil society level between Afghanistan and countries of the region.